Re: [News] Apple Macs Explode, Too

On 2006-08-06, Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1533636
>>
>> Ouch! First Dell; and now Apple who recently recalled laptops. Perhaps the
>> prestige of expensive vendors and submissive OEM's makes it worthwhile
>> looking elsewhere.
>
> frickin' ouch!
>
> Makes me wonder, actually, what the statistics are for exploding batteries.
> Or even if anybody's been brave enough to try and calculate it.
> I own over a dozen notebooks currently. No battery problems with any of
> them. Although, I did have a Thinkpad battery that melted its way through
> the chassis a few years back, but that was my fault - I replaced the cells
> and forgot to ground the back two. Shit got hot and destroyed that one.

There have been a lot of reports of exploding cell phone batteries.
Mostly in Asia, or cheap exports from Asia.

A lot of people try to get cheaper ones to save a couple of bucks. Some
of them have had their phones explode, catch fire or completely melt
the phones.

There was one I read where this guy's pants caught fire while he was
walking down the street. A stranger knocked him down on put the fire
out. Good thing it wasn't in the US or he could have been sued for
knocking the guy over, or by the surviving family for *not* doing
anything and letting him die.

--
Bobax: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.