Re: Linux in a World Where Windows Servers Don't Interoperate

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Centeris CEO: Managing Linux servers in a Windows world
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As Linux servers continue to pervade data centers at increasing rates, one
> | of the biggest challenges to strike IT managers is getting those servers
> | to work well with their existing Windows systems.

That's not hard at all.  Active Directory is based on LDAP.  When
Single sign-on is required, it is very easy to patch Active Directory
servers to behave.  Conversely, it is also possible to configure
openLDAP servers to play nice with AD Clients and Servers.

> | ... Linux is now very mainstream in the SMB market, and that was not the
> | case two years ago. We have seen it come in at the networking edge, on the
> | firewall, maybe with something like an Asterisk phone system.
> `----

These days the question is more like "Where ISN'T Linux working"?

Most companies put the "Big Iron Databases" on AIX, Solaris, or HPUX
and run Oracle, DB2, or Sybase.  Since UNIX servers are still doing
Moore's law, we get really big databases on a single server that used
to require multiple servers running multiple databases, often in
divisional or workgroup "Silos".

Really high performance switches are still the domain of CISCO and
other BSD based Unix routers.

And if you want to spread viruses, worms, spam, spyware, malware,
confusion, and insecurity, you really need a Windows box, because Linux
doesn't do that very well either.

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1208661,00.html