Re: [News] $100 Linux Laptop (OLPC Project) -- a Marvel

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Wednesday 09 August 2006 23:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Low-Tech OLPC Laptop Still a Marvel
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | By picking small-fry chip fabricators instead of Intel for the 500
>> | megahertz central microprocessor, the OLPC project has shunned the
>> | American industrial establishment, as it has since the project was
>> | introduced by Nicholas Negroponte at the World Economic Summit in
>> | Davos, Switzerland, on Jan. 28, 2005.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/52283.html
>
> You know... this is fantastic stuff and I hope it goes well. But I can't
> help but wonder if the money could be spent better on stuff like, food,
> medicine or security.
>
> Yeah, I'm jaded. But I can't help  but imagining the image of some starving
> kid, in a place with no electricity, running water or food busy hacking his
> new laptop... It just doesn't fit...
>
> But that said, it's whay cool. I wonder how long it will be, before the
> laptops start turning up elsewhere.

I guess it's a matter of teaching a man to fish so he can feed himself, for
life. It's a long-term investment. Think, for example, about giving pennies
to a homeless man rather than offering the guy a job and some shelter.

The laptop is intended to bring education that increases one's product from
the crops, helps birth control and so forth. As a first step, that is.

Don't forget that the OLPC project is aimed at countries and continents other
than Africa. Hunger is not the pressing issue everywhere.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
Cpu(s):  18.4% user,   2.6% system,   0.8% nice,  78.2% idle