Re: Why the criticism of Roy's [News] articles?

  • Subject: Re: Why the criticism of Roy's [News] articles?
  • From: Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:39:23 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Culley wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz's [News] posts have really rattled the COLA wintrolls.
> The personal attacks against him have proved that.
>
> One argument used by some of the trolls is that so few of his posts
> generate followups and hence nobody appreciates his articles to COLA.
>
> Roy isn't the first person to post links to [News] articles. He just
> does it more than anyone before him. His [News] articles are a breath
> of fresh air and have transformed COLA over the past few months.
>
> Almost single handedly Roy has increased the S/N ratio in COLA.
>
> Roy isn't the first person to post links to pro-Linux / anti-MS [News]
> articles. One of his predecessors once mentioned why doesn't his
> articles generate responses. He received many responses telling him
> how much his posts were appreciated.
>
> Roy doesn't need feedback but he gets it anyway (I really appreciate
> your [News] posts Roy). How many of those who complain about Roy's
> [News] posts call their local TV/Radio station about news articles?
> How many send messages to news websites they read?
>
> Roy is providing a news service for those of us too lazy / have too
> little time to subscribe to the multitude of resources available. Keep
> up the good work Roy, it is most appreciated by me.

I strongly concur. Roy's [news] articles do two things. Firstly, they show
what is happening in the world of Linux. That is exactly what a advocacy
group is for. Secondly, the articles show what sites out there are
providing information on Linux. As a result of Roy's articles, I have
signed up for several news feeds.

Claiming that the [News} posts are bad, because not every one generates a
response, is like claiming that all posts are bad, because many don't
elicit a response. This is just the troll wanting the bad old days back
again, where they generated most of the posts with their anti-Linux venom.

Change is the one thing that remains consistent. The WinTrolls, i.e. the
pilot fish of the computer industry, are going to have to learn to live
with Linux. I guess that their fear is that they may actually have to learn
how to manage computers one day, instead of reboot-reinstall-ring
Microsoft.

Ian