Re: [OT] First Day with Vista!!

[groups reduced]

__/ [ Aquila Deus ] on Sunday 20 August 2006 03:09 \__

> http://static.flickr.com/88/219585590_3a92abd9b1_o.png
>
> Cheers!

Several months ago, Jim Allchin blamed hardware/device detection problems
(among others) for some of the delays, which were not quite as severe at the
time. It's not just bugs and quirks, as well as security/hack workarounds,
that led to delays (and much in contrary to commmon belief).

Also see Jim's message from yesterday (regarding his first Vista experience).
To quote:

,----[ Quote ]
| POST                    18 seconds
| bootstrap-desktop       78 seconds
|          RAM charge at this point: 282MB swap charge: 465MB
| ten minutes later:
|          RAM charge: 460MB swap charge: 680MB
|
| [...]
|
| Addendum: no sound, no 3D graphics, no network, no bluetooth, no SATA-RAID,
| no zip drive. Pretty fuckin' useless all round, really.
`----

If someone like Jim, who is very proficient at installation, was unable to
sort this out quickly , what hope does this leave to a newbie? I guess that
Vista's hardware requirements were a blessing. They force people to buy new
computers with Vista preinstalled and configured. Surely, this leaves us
Linux users with some powerful second-hand gear that should cope more than
well (e.g. 1/2 GB RAM, 2.2 GHz processor). This may also significantly
reduce the cost of hardware (e.g. processors) that are not the latest and
greatest. Vista is great news to Linux. Even better news than WGA, which is
part of Vista.