Re: [News] Sun Continues Open-Sourcing SPARC CPU

__/ [ yttrx ] on Friday 18 August 2006 10:04 \__

>> __/ [ Scott Nudds ] on Friday 18 August 2006 05:48 \__

>>> Is there a day that goes by where Sun's stock doesn't decline in value?
>>>
>>> Sun is among the walking dead.
>>
>> Linux renders it obsolete. So Sun embraces the GPL and Open Source (and --
>> more latterly -- Ubuntu). Sun hopes it can join the (Linux) party, IMO.
>> Microsoft likelwise although it's hesitant and it gets violently
>> criticised whenever it makes a step in that direction. It also cuts into
>> its profits, which it will be unable to sustain in the long run. Microsoft
>> /already/ sturggles as it reaches out for other markets (e.g. media, Web,
>> advertising, games), hoping to conceal or make up for declining profits.
>> While saving face, maybe Microsoft will be forced out of the software
>> market (long, long term) as it evolves and capitalises on (monopolises?)
>> another niche. Deep pockets and momentum truly help. Not only in this
>> context..
>
> Have you ever actually used a sun machine?

You touched a gentle spot. Remotely, yes. In fact, I use a Solaris server
every day, for FTP (not just for Telnet). I also worked with people who used
Solaris almost exclusively. But I stuck with Red Hat at the time. Care to
explain why you asked that question? I must have missed something or said
something inaccurate, so corrections would be appreciated. *smile* And, yes,
I know about performance of Sun server being highly superior to many others.
It's the price and suitability for home use that put me off. BSD has some
similar issues.