Re: Bill Gates - World Domination

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 18 August 2006 03:07 \__

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdave.thielen.com%2Farticles%2FTNR01.DOC&ei=TB3lRKnBBrO4aoa6weoO&sig2=B_yiwmQ8eSt40EKrBDxzCg

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:JDmjB7u5C0AJ:dave.thielen.com/articles/TNR01.DOC+%22Bill+Gates%22+%22World+Domination%22+Lotus&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

> It looks like Linux and FLOSS and OSS have put a pretty big dent in
> Microsoft's plans.
>
> We either delayed the inevitable,
> or we stopped a potential dictator before he could become "Big Brother"
> at a global level.
>
> At this point, I'm almost more concerned about who will be stepping
> into the void when Bill steps down/out.

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] added on Friday 18 August 2006 03:22 \__

> Here's another one that brings back memories.
>
> http://partners.nytimes.com/library/tech/reference/931025microsoft.html

I was intrigued by the subject line. A quick 'find as you type' on page
reveals this paragraph (note first sentence):

,----[ Quote ]
| When the first I.B.M. PC, powered by MS-DOS, was unveiled in August
| 1981, Gates was on the brink of world domination. He had negotiated
| with I.B.M. to retain ownership of MS-DOS. So when I.B.M. made its
| hardware technology available to other producers, creating a vast
| clone industry, Microsoft was ready to supply everyone in it with
| operating-systems software. The I.B.M.-Microsoft surge inspired the
| software industry to devote most of its energies to writing applications
| for I.B.M.-compatible machines rather than for the scarcer
| Apple-manufactured ones. The more applications there were, the more salable
| were I.B.M. machines. That Apple survived at all is largely because of the
| popularity of its Macintosh PC -- a machine whose success ultimately was
| attributable to the applications Microsoft wrote for it.
`----

Anyway, I found this subject line interesting because it was Linus, if I
recall correctly, who called for "world domination" about 5 years ago. This
appears to have become truer by all means (yet to see it becoming a
prevalent reality), but it took several more years. Linus jumped the gun.
Microsoft fires it (WGA /et al/). It's 'killing the goose'. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"