Re: [News] Linux Laptops - Microsoft Will Not Play Nice

Once upon a midnight dreary, while Oliver Wong pondered weak and weary over
many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:

<snip for brevity>

>> Now apply that analogy to buying a computer.
>
>     McDonalds puts onions in my hamburgers, and I don't like onions
>     either.
> Sometimes I ask them to remove the onions, but I find that this increases
> the preparation time before I receive my hamburger (as they need to make a
> new custom buger just for me, rather than pick out one of their pre-made
> hamburgers), so what I do is just take the hamburgers, with onions, and
> then manually remove the onions myself. I use the French Fries to remove
> the onions so as to avoid getting ketchup or mustard on my hands.

suppose that's one use for a macdonald's fry...

>> Further, do makers of green peppers threaten Subway in any way if Subway
>> does not make sure that green peppers are on each sub it sells ? That
>> analogy is getting ridiculous.
>
>     Okay, so let's drop the analogy and go back to the main issue: Does it
> make sense to always refuse to buy a from a certain computer vendor
> because there may be a Microsoft tax hidden somewhere within the sales
> transaction?

Well... yes. Why /should/ I pay Microsoft for something I'll not use? And
don't pull the police-portion-of-council-tax one, that's not the same
thing.

> It depends on how much you hate Microsoft, I suppose.

It's not so much a hatred of the company, it's the fact that I consider
their software to be bloated, unstable, scumware-ridden, crippled and dog
ugly.

> Would
> you be willing to pay an extra $100 to get identical hardware, but without
> software installed, and with a promise that none of the profits will go to
> Microsoft? An extra $500? $1000?

Um... don't know what school of economics you went to, but the firm I buy
prebuilt systems from charge Â65 /less/ for systems /without/ MS-XP on. Do
you see how that works?

>     I wouldn't. I'd just manually remove the software myself, if I didn't
> want it. But maybe I just don't hate Microsoft enough.
>
>     - Oliver

Dude, you've got a F00F bug in your head...

--
http://dotware.co.uk
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change