[News] Cell Processor and Linux Coupled in IBM

(And not just in the context of the PlayStation 3)

Cell processor is key to IBM's open source plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Cell processor technologies are being closely coupled with IBM's for
| open source operating systems and development software.
|
| The IBM has made clear its commitment to Linux software development and
| open source software by saying it wants to accelerate the adoption of
| open standards. A key element of this will be an expansion of its Linux
| software roadmap to include the Cell processor development as well
| as visualisation and security.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/ARTICLES/2006/08/16/39487/Cell+processor+is+key+to+IBMs+open+source+plans.HTM

Not sure how AMD, Sun Microsystems and Intel feel about this. IBM's Linux
servers could revolutionise performance while neglecting Windows and
Solaris. Forget about PowerPC, but here is an interesting study on power
consumption.

Sun Fire 'CoolThreads' T1000 review

,----[ Quote ]
| On June 16th, Jonathan posted a blog entry where he announced that
| Ubuntu Linux ran on Niagara, and that anyone who writes a thorough
| review would get to keep the box in question. Fantastic idea - I get to
| run Linux, which I know like the back of my hand, play with some hot
| new technology, and I get to keep the hardware for my time. Sold! So
| here we are, 60 days later, with a thorough review.
`----

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/08/15/sun-fire-coolthreads-t1000-review/

I suspect that the Cell processor (or Ubuntu on top for that matter) is not
as energy-efficient, which might be a deterrent in datacentres (heat, cost).
The PlayStation was said to have some issues, but nothing on par with the
XBox 360...