Re: [News] "Linux is suitable for over 90% of the enterprise desktop"

__/ [ Jim ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 02:20 \__

> Once upon a midnight dreary, while Hadron Quark pondered weak and weary
> over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:
>
>> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:45:46 +0100

>>> but usually I consider Linux better at communicating
>>> what problem it's having, if one knows the lingo, and
>>> Linux helps by not dumbing it down with "market speak"
>>> or "feeping creatureism": disks and cabinets [*] for
>>> partitions, folders for directories, documents for files,
>>> shortcuts for what looks a little like a symbolic link
>>> but isn't really.
>>
>> Do you really believe that? Its completely false IMO : Linux, being the
>> techie geeks dream, has a far more complicated naming convention. Its
>> why the mac/windows got adopted more : they simplified the front end and
>> the learning curve for the majority of users. Even the concept of a
>> ".exe" file extension is often more intuitive for many than the concept
>> of an "execution bit".
>
> Yeah, far easier to sneak in a bit of malware thinly disguised as a jpeg...

Linux is /more/ rational. What is a file extension anyway? And a suffix?!?!
It's all a matter of habits, which had people take this for granted. A
file-user relationship involves permissions: to read, to write, and to run.
Don't let the filename control that relationship. Names are easy to change,
as opposed to attributed. A bane won't preserve itself (e.g. network
shares). Bad idea from the get-go. Bad design for a system that was designed
for a one-user, standalone, Solitaire station.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Tasks: 133 total,   2 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie