Re: [News] 89% of PC's Infested with Spyware

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 19:43 \__

> "Ian Hilliard" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Webroot: Spyware Still Worst Enemy
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Spyware
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/webroot-spyware-still-worst-enemy/
>>>
>>> The figures may be higher when Windows Vista/WGA/IE7 are taken into
>>> consideration. They are spyware in their own right.
>>
>> I can't believe these figures. Windows doesn't have that big a market
>> share.
>> I would put it at about 80% with Linux 15% and Apple 5%. Thus, only 80% of
>> the PC's in the world are infected with Windows.
>
>     Presumably, when they say "89% of consumers", they mean consumers of
> their products. That is, Webroot's anti spyware tool phones home to report
> anonymous statistical data. Webroot only markets its software to Windows
> user, which means that 11% of Windows users who use Webroot's anti spyware
> tool had no spyware on their computer. That's my interpretation, anyway.

This is a possible interpretation, but there is still ambiguity. Moreover,
would you truly count on what an AV vendor has to say?

Either way, it looks grim for Windows. Merely everyone I know has some viral
issues with a Windows PC. It's ironic that security becomes the intolerable
factor that repels Windows users and drives them away. I would rather they
properly appreciated the /function/ of UNIX-type platforms.