Re: [News] Linux and OSS Will Not Kill People

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:08:44 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I  have  always  feared the day when robots  (not  necessary
>human  lookalikes)  will replace humans in the  battelfield,
>but  also  kill  people who run them (think  Terminator  and
>classical  apocalypse films). If the robots are  autonomous,
>there  is also the possibility of accidents--robots  running
>amuck  shooting innocent bystanders. All in all, I hope some

I think we're pretty far away from robots that are autonomous or
intelligent.

I also think that the military robots will be less likely to run amuck
than humans are.

A booby trap is a very simple battle robot. The enemy approaches and
the trap goes off when triggered. You protect your guys by telling
them where the trap is.

Designing military robots will consist of defining their "triggers,"
their responses, and their method of detecting "friendlies."

Detection or "triggers" is something that's already being worked on
for other purposes, military or not. (Think burglar alarms.)

Reponses will be a bit tricky because you don't want to have overkill
or underkill. You don't want to waste munitions, but you do want to
stop the enemy every time. Still, I doubt it will take much work to
solve this one.

The method of detecting friendlies also involves many things currently
being worked on. It boils down to AAA - Authentication, Authorization,
and Accounting. I think this will be the hardest part to solve.

Military robots would be similar to industrial robots, so maybe
Unimation would get into it?