Re: [News] New York School Districts Choose SUSE Linux for Students

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 09:13 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> New York School Districts Select Linux Desktops from Novell to Improve
>>> Student Access to Technology
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/sftu088.html?.v=67
>>
>> I don't see why the US$100 laptop shouldn't be used everywhere, rather
>> than just in the 3rd world.  It would surely benefit many schools in
>> less well off parts of the UK.
>

> I once thought about the very same arguments. My sister, who has just turned
> 10, has this laptop-shaped educational tool. It's embedded and the screen is
> small, monochrome, and low in resolution. She doesn't seem to have much
> interest in it. I'd wager it's simply because high-end computers lurk around
> the corner. This, however, is the key difference. For the same reason, many
> people will not surf the Web on their mobile or PDA. It's about options --
> about _what else_ you have available. In poor countries, on the other hand,
> the 'terrain' changes. And let's not forget the issue of queueing up to use
> a workstation...
>

>> It would be so inexpensive that anyone could afford to buy one.
>
> The teenages struggle to just keep a mobile phone of of sight. Where would
> they conceal a miniature laptop...? First mug, then 419 scam.

Okay, but if /everyone/ has one, there would be no need to steal them.
If it were to cost, say £50, then theft would hardly be common, these
days.  This is not an out of the way price - a DVD player these days is
< £20.

After your lover has gone you will still have PEANUT BUTTER!