Re: linux on an old laptop

  • Subject: Re: linux on an old laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:36:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ray ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 04:02 \__

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:38:01 -0700, compaq-xp wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> I need help i'v got and old laptop that pritty slow runing win98se and
>> 98lite, and i would like to know what type of linux would work best
>> with it.
>> Here is the info about it.
>>
>> Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT
>> Intel 120MHz
>> 48.6MB of memery
>> 750MB Hard drive
>> 20x cd-rom drive
>> 3 1/2" floppy drive
>>

>> It also can't boot from cd's so i need to know how to boot linux form a
>> floppy.
>> My e-mail is <compaq-xp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> No offense, but I'd call that 'flogging a dead horse'. It's pretty
> difficult to find anything that will go from floppy anymore. What is the
> issue with the CD? If that were fixed, I'd recommend trying Elive - I've
> installed it on a P166 with 64MB and it runs pretty well.

I agree with Ray. Unless you have a particular nature of use in mind (e.g.
have a powerful desktop and a laptop for travelling), then it may a case of
avoiding waste, but the gain is small. Other uses might be running a server
or donating the laptop to someone without a computer (among many other
possibilities).

You may also find the following index of links useful:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/

Others have said they had found it useful.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung