Re: SLED 10 Impresses Tectonic

__/ [ Ian Hilliard ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 18:10 \__

> billwg wrote:
>

>> "Ian Hilliard" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Funny thing, there was a time when Ford owned the automobile market. Now
>>> Ford are just another player.
>>>
>> Did Ford own the auto market?  Must have been a hundred years ago, then.
>> Maybe in another hundred people will feel like using linux, although I
>> wouldn't bet on it!
>>

> Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I suggest
> that you go an learn your history.
>
>>> What you don't seem to realize is that unless there is sanity brought
>>> back to the computer industry, those few morsels of carrion on which you
>>> feed will soon be swept up by Microsoft in their constant need for a
>>> bigger slice of the pie. You would be well advised to learn Linux before
>>> it is too
>>> late.
>>>
>> Oh don't be so silly, ian!  Look at Intuit.  They still have a lion's
>> share
>> of the PC accounting software business.  Symantec, Oracle, CA, Adobe, and
>> others seem to be able to run with the big dog, too.  The lesson to be
>> learned is that you have to be good to start and you have to keep
>> progressing.  Eventually Mr. Softee will make your bread and butter into
>> just crutons in their side salad unless you keep running and keep earning
>> your business.  MS is the great leveler, IMO, and they just provide the
>> means for old hat software to end up in the free bag.  You can still make
>> money with the latest and greatest, but don't stop trying to get better.
>>

> The great leveler? Oh yes, the Microsoft Motto; What's yours is mine and
> what's mine is my own. In Microsoft's eyes your all just little fish to be
> eaten. That is levelling, of a sort.
>
>> OSS folk are really doing much the same thing, wouldn't you agree?  They
>> clone the popular stuff and never quite get ahead of the target, a lot
>> like the hounds trying to catch the rabbit at the dog track. All that
>> Microsoft does is package it all up in a much more palatable package and
>> make sure that it works for the masses who only want to know the time of
>> day and do not care to understand how a clock works.
>>

> Most of the great new innovations by Microsoft are just ideas stolen from
> others. Most of the protocols were developed in OSS and have now been
> twisted to be incompatible with the original.
>
> Microsoft is to quality computing as McDonalds is to quality eating.
>

>>> Still, there will probably still work for you flipping burgers and if
>>> you're
>>> lucky they might even let you fry the fries.
>>>
>> I thought that it might be more interesting to hire on at TSA and have a
>> look through everyone's luggage.
>>
>> Or if we are truly fortunate, MS will sweep us up and make us part of
>> their success.
>
> I never knew that you were Indian. If your not, don't expect anything from
> Mr Softee. He thinks that American programmers are lazy, useless and over
> [...]

Vista is said to have been developed by a couple of hundreds of developers
overseas.

Mr. Gates' complaints about lack of talent in the States are merely
crocodile's tears. Gates /et al./ get their labour for cheaper in the East.
And it's all about retaining decent margins to satisfy the skeptic investors
who are more than prepared to pack and change their bets.

Every demise brings with it some irrational decisions. These frantic immoral
actions have led to Gates' early retirement as Redmond turns to 'panic mode'
(WGA, IE7 spyware capabilities, and all their evil siblings).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed" --Unknown
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie