Re: [News] British Police Says No to PGP/SSH/SHTTP?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 08:28 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Police decryption powers 'flawed'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The government faces criticism over plans to give police powers to make
>>| suspects produce readable copies of encrypted computer evidence.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| But some peers, academics and cryptographers say the plans are flawed and
>>| risk being abused.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| "You do not secure the liberty of our country and value of our democracy
>>| by undermining them," he said. "That's the road to hell."
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4794383.stm
>
> If the police were not corrupt and not corruptible, and the government
> were the say in general, then it's possible that there could be an
> argument in favour of the above, however, as the police regularly find
> corrupt constables in their ranks, and government in general is far from
> clean, I cannot ever see a reasonable argument for government agencies,
> judiciary or anyone else having the right to access or store or collect
> my data.

Neither do I. But I believe that, given some open confessions, this would
become more reasonable. At present, it deems incompetent, IMHO. Windows back
doors, various logs and liaison with the government are nothing but a rumour
at this stage. And speaking of encryption, why is it that the UK government
was meeting Microsoft to discuss back door to BitLocker (Vista encryption).
Doesn't the public deserve to know or be involved (the BBC gave no hints, so
there was secrecy involved)? And if not, perhaps the government officials
fear encryption that is undetectable (e.g. one where the data object has no
headers to indicate encryption, as oppose to an arbitrary blob of 0's and
1's, or an independent implementation).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded