Re: [News] AMD to Unify GPU and CPU

  • Subject: Re: [News] AMD to Unify GPU and CPU
  • From: Donn Miller <hackr_d@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:44:35 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ray Ingles wrote:
On 2006-08-15, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Will this affect Linux users by forcing them to accept crippled ATi Drivers?

A large part of AMDs success has been due to its scrupulous Linux support. Intel tried to grab the 64-bit market with the Itanium, but it was AMD's x86-64 architecture running Linux for servers that won them much of their current stature. I rather think they will put some effort into polishing the Linux drivers for ATI hardware. Perhaps not full open source, but certainly more functionality and polish.

 Not betting my life on it, of course, but I think it's much more likely
than not.

The best thing is contributions of xorg drivers that will work with both BSD and Linux. I had no problems getting the latest ATI drivers for the Radeon 200M to build/install. But for a while, I was getting lockups, which I couldn't find the source of. I don't know what I did to prevent it, like tweak the xorg.conf file or whatever, but I did manage to get the ATI driver to work very well. I know there are no FreeBSD drivers yet though. AMD will probably work on this. Most in my family are big Intel fans, but I've always been an AMD fan.