Re: RIAA defendant dies, heirs given 60 days to grieve before depositions

  • Subject: Re: RIAA defendant dies, heirs given 60 days to grieve before depositions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:57:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 15:15 \__

> Once upon a midnight dreary, while BearItAll pondered weak and weary over
> many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:
>
>> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ----------------
>>> In the case of Warner et al v. Scantlebury, yet another individual was
>>> targeted by seven record labels looking for restitution of the horrible
>>> damages inflicted by the alleged downloading of music files...
>>>
>>> Larry Scantlebury had the temerity to die before the case was resolved,
>>> though. Again, the cause of death is unknown, but the RIAA did get a
>>> hold of a death certificate. It was filed as support for a motion to
>>> "stay the case for 60 days and extend all deadlines 60 days," filed by
>>> the record labels' lawyers...
>>
>> In the end what he was doing was illegal, we can't let criminals get away
>> with the goods simply by passing ownership off them to their wives or
>> families.
>>
>> I want good music played by good musicians and good singers, until there
>> is some money to be made from making music we will be stuck with drum
>> machines, mixed music samples and bleeding rap singers. Oh, and
>> occasionally a Britney 'mime artist extroardinare' Spears who managed a
>> whole tour without singing a note. Just her, a cd player and some lights.
>> Not what I would call an artist.

But she dances, too. At least she sweats for the ticket price.

>> So for me the crack down on illegal copying is a good thing, maybe
>> eventually we will get something worth listening to.

Bravo!

> As long as there are suckers prepared to pay good money on crap artists,
> they'll continue to foist them on us and their lapdogs the RIAA will
> continue to sue.
>
> I download music. And ebooks. And audio books. And movies. And software.
> I'll put my hands up and admit to them all.
>
> I download my music from etree.
> I download my ebooks from Project Gutenberg.
> I download my audio books from Project Gutenberg.
> I download my movies from the USNA.
> I download my software from free and open source projects.
>
> All perfectly legally, and all at no cost beyond bandwidth.

Similar case here. Shareable-through-HTTP music (some obscure artists),
reading material from open Web sites (Wikipedia is a favourite), movies from
Google Video and YouTube and software... well... there's plenty on the SUSE
CD's, but there's downloadable FLOSS too.

> Why do I download old stuff (music, movies and books)?
>
> Because the new stuff ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SUCKS!

Sometimes. Depends on your interests and needs.

> Why do I use FLOSS?
>
> Because I find the licensing on keyed commercial software TOO DAMN
> RESTRICTIVE.

You can take FLOSS with you. Distribute, duplicate, extend, redistribute, and
negotiate with a community to become part of it all (as one who votes, or
even a contributer of code). FLOSS is also educational.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
roy      pts/1        cg 001a.halls.man Tue Aug 15 07:09   still logged in