Re: WGA fails again - spectacularly!

__/ [ Jim ] on Monday 14 August 2006 05:53 \__

> I just HAD to share this one with you, because it made me laugh my arse off
> when I read it!
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/bott/?p=110
>
> summary:
>
> After WGA failed his genuine key, this individual tried a two-year-old
> bootleg key he found after a 15-minute Google. Said key passed WGA with
> flying colours. Not just once. As many times as it took to download /every/
> optional update for XP, including IE7 Beta and Windows Defender.
>
> This is quality software at its finest, folks! Step right on up and taste
> of the honeyed brew!
>
> Fuck that, I'll stick with Linux. :p

Later on he got caught. See the followup post.

Busted! What happens when WGA attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| The entire program is couched in language that would make Orwell proud.
| I'd love to spend an hour in Redmond, locked in a room with the WGA team,
| so I could explain exactly how wrong their approach is. If I had my way,
| I'd tear down every existing web page and start over. Here's a hint:
| Stop treating every customer as if they were a thief.
`----

                        http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=113&tag=nl.e539

To quote part of a discussion about this in COLA:

[H]omer:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 11 August 2006 04:54 \__

>> I think I'll add this one to the syndicate:
>>
>> http://
>> forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/rss.aspx?ForumID=442&Mode=0&SiteID=25
>>
> To copy and paste from the forum index:
>
>         Blocked PID
>
>         Validation and theme installation issues
>
>         alert!!!! "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting
>
>         Counterfeit message - XP is not counterfeit! within it.
>
>         I am so angry!
>
>         Counterfeiting?
>
>         2nd Genuine Key to get the boot
>
>         Lots and lots of problems...
>
>         I Have A Valid 1 Use Copy of XP Home, WGA Disagrees!!!

Yeah well, two months ago I predicted this would happen:

"I have a feeling we're going to be hearing an increasing number of
similar tales, over the next year or so."

   - http://tinyurl.com/kpcqg (groups.google.co.uk)