Re: Why did Apple sell a crappy OS for over twenty years?

  • Subject: Re: Why did Apple sell a crappy OS for over twenty years?
  • From: pa_nihill@xxxxxxxxx (Patrick Nihill)
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:40:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.os.linux.advocacy
<Stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > __/ [ Stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 20:08 \__

> > > Having just watched the video of the wwdc 2006 presentation it seems to
> > > me that macs are only for people who want to play with photos & music
> > > files.  It's like MySpace on you desktop computer.
> >

> > Nice analogy. However, to many people (the vast majority even),
> > computers are where digital photos, E-mail, and Web browsing converge.
> > Some add some rich media (videos and music) to the pool, but that's
> > about it. The 'wrapping paper' is important as well because it is the
> > only thing that visually distinguishes one offer from another.
> >

> > > Apple make beautiful hardware but it's all marketing and presentation
> > > imho. eg. Spaces & Time Machine.  I've had a Spaces equivalent on my
> > > win xp laptop for years.
> >

> > Linux has had it for nearly a decade? If not more...? It's a UNIX/Solaris
> > thing, IIRC.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Roy
> >

> One thing I've heard from mac users is that it encourages you to be
> creative by making everything so easy.  I like the idea &
> implementation of a single standard ui but I don't think there's enough
> there to tempt me to switch.
>
> How about developer tools especially enterprise tools.  Are they
> available for mac os x?
> eg. MS visual studio, sql server.  I assume, although I could be wrong,
> that these are not available or will not run under os x?  The xserver
> machines look awesome so there must be some enterprise software
> available.

Obviously Microsoft's developer tools aren't available for OS X, but
there is serious enterprise software development stuff available. I'm
using Oracle 10g, Bea Weblogic 9.1 and IntelliJ IDEA here, for example.
OS X is a pretty good Java platform, especially now that they've moved
to Intel and Apple's laptops aren't so bloody slow any more :-)