Re: What Microsoft has that Linux doesn't

__/ [ Linux Utilisateur ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 03:59 \__

> Linux Utilisateur wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> > How many vendors do you know who sell machines with Linux preinstalled?
>>
>> I have sold 15.. Don't believe me?
>>
>> Here is the link http://www.advantage-computers.com/prodlist.asp~Cat~9
>>
>> Note: when they take pools - they ignore few people and races.. I learn
>> about it last year. For example -- lynx user (text browser) are NOT
>> listed, nor opera.. In fact www.theregister.co.uk talked about this
>> issue...

Now that you mention this, I don't think that I count as a Linux user when I
surf the Web, either. It depends on the site, the stats software, and the
browser that I use. True figures will, unfortunately, never see the light of
day (COLA had this issue discussed many times before).

...But it's what happens on the ground, so to speak, which actually matters.
That said, companies like Microsoft can use biased figures ("there are lies,
damn lies, and statistics") to support FUD. They can argue that Linux has a
small market share (10-20 times smaller than in reality in some cases) and
this makes people fearful, uncertain and doubtful about an upgrade to
GNU/Linux. It makes them feel like a minority that ought to be scared, as
though many of their friends who once upgraded must have fallen back onto
Windows.

>> Also: here in Canada 45% non-white use linux -- including aborginal.
>> Right now, I am living in artic -- 80% of the people are using linux --
>> town population 3,000..
>
> Ps: I was backing your point :)

Yes, I know. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Tasks: 145 total,   1 running, 142 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie