Re: It's the Big One Elizabeth! (And the One Big!)

  • Subject: Re: It's the Big One Elizabeth! (And the One Big!)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:37:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 12 August 2006 01:51 \__

>    http://www.desktoppipeline.com/191901722?rssfeed_pl_dtp
>
>    As the spotlight on a dangerous Windows vulnerability grows brighter
>    by the hour, security analysts Thursday said that it's not hype
>    driving the alarms, but genuine fear that a major worm attack is just
>    days away.
>
>    "This is no drill," said Mike Murray, director of research at
>    vulnerability management vendor nCircle. "And no, this isn't an
>    overreaction. We've always said that some day there would be another
>    big, serious vulnerability.
>
>    "Well, this is the one."

Microsoft  even  contacted  Homeland Security  as  means  of
prodding people, according to their COLA mouthpiece. As said
elsewhere  (a  thread  that directly  addresses  this  press
release),  this  could get conspiracy theorists  humming.  I
can't  help  but think about Microsoft's reluctance to  give
the  EU some networking specs. My guess is that, within just
months,  the  world  will reveal some shocking  truths.  And
there  will be a stampede toward Open Source O/Sen. Not only
at  a  corporate  and national level... those  who  fear  US
intrusion into their confidential data...

http://www.desktoppipeline.com/191600891;jsessionid=DOVISMGPJ5U4KQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN

>     Ballmer Analyzes Microsoft's 'One Big' Vista Mistake
>
>     CEO says the company bit off more than it could chew.
>
>     By Stacy Cowley  Courtesy of CRN
>
>     Microsoft made one big, wrong decision that led to Vista's delays,
>     Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told financial analysts during his
>     meeting with them last week. The company took a Big Bang approach
>     and tried to overhaul all of its operating system's core components
>     simultaneously, an approach that eventually led to a fiery
>     development crash.
>
> Well, at least he's man enough to admit it.  Good on ya Steve-o!
>
> They'll be cleaning up that code for a long time to come.  Maybe some
> good will come of it.  Maybe they won't have some much time on their
> hands to churn up the code for no good reason.

Ballmer  also  said  that Windows "needed a reboot".  Not  a
reboot   of  a  Windows  installation....  but  the   actual
_development_ of Windows. This must be why Microsoft started
from scratch around September 2005. A shame really. 6 months
in development results in a release of a new O/S, as opposed
to  some  Service Pack (at most). Even the time gap  between
Tiger  and  Leopard is far more considerable. There  was  no
need to reboot. To make matters worse, Microsoft is _yet_ to
rework  the code of Vista, the majority of which requires  a
redesign,  according to the honourable Jim Allchin.  Whether
they  will fall back to the source code of Windows  2000....
we  are  yet to find out. Starting from the Vista  codebase,
with  its  immense  bloat (and thus  hardware  requirements)
would be a terrible, irreversible mistake.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
Mem:    514480k total,   481952k used,    32528k free,     6856k buffers