Re: [News] Dell Makes Truck Go Ka-Boom!

  • Subject: Re: [News] Dell Makes Truck Go Ka-Boom!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 03:58:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 09 August 2006 03:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:31:27 +0100
> <1417740.ce13WWzjde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Dell laptop blew up the truck
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There seems to be no doubt in Forqueran's mind that his Dell
>> | Inspiron 1300/B130 set his truck ablaze.
>> |
>> | "I want people to know what happened to me," he said. "These laptops
>> | are dangerous and people need to know."
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33541
>>
>> This points to some dodgy Web site. Take this with a grain of salt.
>
> While I don't know regarding Grandpa's truck or these two specific
> gentlemen, I believe other sites have mentioned this little overheating
> problem.
>
> The problem appears to not be limited to Dell, either; Lithium-Ion
> batteries cropped up in a Google for "Dell explosion".  Also, Apple
> is apparently engineering a worldwide battery recall for certain
> rechargeable batteries sold for use with its 15" MacBook Pro units.
> (This according to
> http://www.mobilised.com.au/content/view/511/83/ )

Do you're suggesting that only Dell's prolific presence made it a victim? I
am not surprised though. Microsoft is known to produce software that is not
safe. So what else can one expect from Microsoft's Hardware Department^tm?

> Google also coughed up
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/22/dude-your-dell-is-on-fire/
>
> That'll leave a scorch mark or two on the tablecloth.
>
> The truck story is also mentioned in
>
> http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/inspiron/
>
> along with a file photo of a car blowing up.  (I suspect the car
> explosion is a movie stunt but do not recognize the pic.)
>
> For its part Dell is apparently investigating.
>
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/mobile/189601143
>
> I'd hate to have to worry about a liability lawsuit from someone getting
> hurt; one may recall McDonald's having to pay a goodly sum to a woman
> who got coffee in a place where coffee doesn't usually go...

*LOL* I must admit that I like these scientific rambling with Google's
serious cough. They are fun to read, but sometimes too long to reply to
(without serious snippage).

Best wishes,

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
Tasks: 138 total,   1 running, 136 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie