Re: [News] Leopard, Vista and Linux Eye Candy Compared - Linux Wins

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 11 August 2006 11:26 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Videos here:
>>
>> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2915/linux_xglcompiz_graphics
>>
>> Poll:
>>
>> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=20
>>
>> A whopping 86% of all users voted Linux.
>>
>> Linux is the only one that is not vapourware, even though Compiz/XGL is
>> still subjected to ongoing tests.
>
> "Linux Wins" ... yes it does.
>
> Vista demo: clunky, tired, busy, uninspiring, not very snappy.
> Mac demo: very responsive, clean, slick, a bit too clinical.
> Linux demo: stunning GFX, too much blue, did I mention stunning GFX?
>
> I'd have chosen a more subtle desktop scheme, but other than that ...
> yup, that is pretty much the future of Desktop computing, and you won't
> need Cray supercomputers to do it either ... unless you want Vista of
> course.

"Cray", you say? I read the following half an hour ago <
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33612 , Cray to use Opterons
for world's fastest computers  >. I tried to find out what O/S they will
deploy on that array of Opteron nodes. It's probably Linux, just like in
IBM's Blue Gene, as well as about 80% of the world's strongest computers.

All these world records that Linux proudly holds make its competitors look
miniscule. This must be the reason why Microsoft attempts to shove its HPC
product as hard as it tried/s to push its servers to Web hosts and systems
administrators. The GoDaddy parked domain story springs to mind. I have
evidence to suggest that in both cases there's financial incentive and
rewards (e.g. in the form of 'free' hardware).