Re: Extending/Fragmenting KDE Desktop Space

  • Subject: Re: Extending/Fragmenting KDE Desktop Space
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:49:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Rob ] on Friday 11 August 2006 06:24 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it by any means possible to have a separate desktop workspaces (not
>> just a different wallpaper, but also different files) in each virtual
>> desktop? I am aware of the problem/complexity/ambiguity this may cause
>> w.r.t. the structure of ~/Desktop, but I want to prevent desktop clutter.
>> How about specifying, e.g. that Desktop 1 will reflect on the contents of
>> ~/Desktop/desktop1 or ~/some_stuff?
>
> I thought about this idea about a year ago and was told that I could have
> scripts that would copy info from e.g. a desktop1 folder to the real
> desktop when one changed to that desktop.  It was too complicated for me
> and at the time I did not have any experience in writing bash scripts.
> Also I could not find a way to automatically run the script when changing
> desktops - in other words it would be a manual setup - not really
> acceptable IMO.

That would have some performance costs, too. Changing many file pointers
every time one changes virtual desktop... and it's also prone to error, e.g.
system crash while moving between virtual desktops. Nice idea in principle,
but not pragmatic. It leads to all sorts of other issues, e.g. making a
selection (or 'copy to clipboard') and then moving between desktops leads to
invalidation of the clipboard contents (list of files with full paths).