Re: Patent fight rattles academic computing

  • Subject: Re: Patent fight rattles academic computing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:54:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:36 \__

http://money.netscape.cnn.com/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1333&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20060827%2F1457575948.htm&sc=1333
> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2362437
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/02/1217219
>
> This may appear to be just a new, obnoxious example of patent trolling
> (in this case by Blackboard).  However, there are connections between
> Blackboard and Microsoft:
>
> http://www.blackboard.com/company/press/release.aspx?id=510542
> http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/751121
> http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2001/04/23/daily13.html
> http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2001/12/04/news/4013.shtml
> http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i13/13a02701.htm
>
> Quote:
> ----------
> Charlene A. Douglas isn't surprised that Microsoft wants to get into
> the booming business
> of online-software systems for higher education, or that it has
> recently formed a close alliance with Blackboard, a company whose
> software helps colleges put their courses on the Internet....
>
> In what the two companies call a "preferred relationship," Microsoft
> will promote Blackboard to its education customers and Blackboard will
> suggest that its clients use the Microsoft Windows operating system to
> run Blackboard on their servers to take advantage of special features
> available only to Microsoft users.
> ----------
> End quote
>
> See also:
> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=98283

I have read somewhere else about Microsoft's attempts to sabotage the
adoption of projects such as Moodle. I think it was also mentioned in the
LUG when one of the members introduced Moodle to us, giving a thorough
walkthrough.

It was a pretty impressive system. And it reuses a lot of GPL'd components,
like the majority of the well-tested stuff you find at the top of
SourceForge. No wonder Microsoft is scared. Student require nothing but a
Web browser to do their learning nowadays. From home, as well as from the
clusters at school. This obviates the need for Microsoft or Windows-only
software and when costs can be reduced at schools, license fees will be
abolished. Look at Kerala...

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - You included some good citations that will sure serve someone in the
future. The first among them is the one I posted to PJ last night.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S