Re: Microsoft Cannot Protect Windows, So It 'Educates' People

Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:14 \__

>>> It would be fun to go picket them with penguin and "Safe Computing?
>>> Buy a Mac" signs.
>>
>> Rather than educate the public, Microsoft confuses people. It makes them
>> narrow minded by controlling their exposure to altenatives (OEM's, media,
>> schools and so on). How many Linux newbie do you know who ask about
>> malware

A quick browse of my SW shelf for XP shows maybe 15 different SW
Authors/Pulishers. So, you're talking shit. A quick browse of my
installed linux stuff shows me .... nothing. OSS.

>> and anti-virus software, or the absence of scandisk.exe and defrag.exe?
>> Earlier today I got the following message by E-mail (just a snippet):
>>
>>         "Too many things are not there. I want my Desktop and My
>>         Documents and My Pictures and my Music. I have it all saved
>>         on my external drive. I see no Start, Search, Control Panel,
>>         Add/Delete Programs."
>>
>> So he's new to the world of Linux and he thinks that
>> computing=Windows. The

Like most people he wants what hes familiar with.

>> terminology is very narrow to him and he cannot grasp the fact that Linux is
>> not Windows. Linux is done better--or conversely--Windows is a poor
>> UNIX/Linux implementation.

Windows was GUI and installed in offices and WORKING long before GNU/Linux.

> Personally, I find the nursery language of "my pictures" and "my
> documents" to be, well, utterly childish.  Who is "my" anyway?  If /I/
> wanted to call something mine, /I/ would do it, so clearly, they must be
> someone else's, someone who's too childish to write "mark's pictures".

Do you know that made no sense? Different logins have different "My"
folders. Only you could fault something which is so easy to use for so
many people. Its rather disturbing and reveals some rather psychotic
weaknesses in your makeup.

> I also suspect that this is influenced by the single-user approach of
> Windows.  You can only use "I" if you're the only user...

Id guess 99.9% of home PCs are used by a *SINGLE* user physically using
it at any one time. But you do realise that probably 50-60% have
MULTIPLE  users logged in at anyone time ? Often doing things : maybe
downloading, maybe playing iTunes? Its very common for home XP to have 3
or 4 family accounts. And you can switch between them without logging
them out. So basically, "my xyz" makes sense. Certainly no sillier than
"home folder". And yes, there are multiple users.