Re: [News] Governments That Betray Open Source and Linux (Digest)

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Owning The Future - Govt Criticised At Open Source Convention
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Innovation tends to happen in small groups, and big companies build their
>| businesses around them. Later V. Ponaraj, Director (Technology
>| Initiatives), Office of the President of India waxed ineloquently about the
>| initiatives taken by the Government of India to support and adopt Open
>| Source, only to be shot down during the Q&A.
> `----
>
> http://www.contentsutra.com/21986

This shows the danger of ignoring FLOSS, I think...

> Becta, WAG and OSS - a missed opportunity?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In May 2005, Becta released a report on its investigations into the use
>| of OSS in schools, which found that open source software can provide a
>| cost-effective and efficient solution to schools' IT needs... A small
>| company with fantastically dedicated staff that could provide an
>| excellent service to a handful of local schools would not have stood a
>| chance against the likes of Serco, government's preferred supplier of
>| almost anything.
>|
>| Of course Becta has to cover the whole UK, so can't afford the time to
>| assess thousands of local companies, but that just brings us back to
>| the question of why it is not helping schools or education authorities
>| to do their own specifying and purchasing.
> `----
>
> http://www.pingwales.co.uk/2006/08/25/ossbecta.html

I think that more work is required, but we're forging ahead with FLOSS
at my school.  Dansguardian will shortly be providing the filtering on
the debian box (or perhaps on another one), along with caching and so on.

No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he had only had good
intentions.  He had money as well.
		-- Margaret Thatcher