Re: is it possible to export my outlook email files to some standard format ?

Roy Schestowitz :
> __/ [ surfunbear@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 27 August 2006 17:16 \__
>
>>  I am trying to save all my email messages because I want to try to
>> install linux. One might think there was some way to export your email
>> file to some standard format, but alas It seems I can only export to
>> Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange from Outlook Express 6.  Where
>> is the mail file located ? maybe I can decipher most of it with a perl
>> script or something if there is no other means. Perhaps a linux program
>> like one in open office can read it ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I wrote this several times before, so I'll be brief. What you ought to do is
> install Mozilla Thunderbird and allow it to import mail, settings, and
> addresses from the local Outlook installation. The first-run wizard will
> handle this. Then, take your Thunderbird profile directory (as it is) and
> graft it onto Thunderbird on Linux. And Voila! All your Outlook 'material'
> (even settings) is in mint condition under Thunderbird in Linux, stored in
> standard formats. You have broken the shackles and are now prepared to swing
> onto any other application that is standards-friendly (e.g. KMail,
> Evolution).
>
> Hope it help.
>
> Roy

I am so happy this has been made so simple. years ago moving people from
Netscape to another client, or even doing useable backups of just the
mail directories, was a hideous pain in the arse. Recovery from these
clients from, say, a corrupt partition was difficult as well.
Thunderbirds architecture makes all of this simple. The "Average User"
(whoever that is) is now quite capable of doing tasks that techs charged
hundreds of dollars per job to do. THAT's progress!

--
Sex with you would suck.

http://www.websterscafe.com