Re: Internet TV plans revealed by Japanese manufacturers

  • Subject: Re: Internet TV plans revealed by Japanese manufacturers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:40:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Chuck Whealton ] on Saturday 26 August 2006 18:21 \__

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Quote:
>> --------------
>> The Japanese consumer electronics companies aim to develop
>> broadband-enabled televisions that can download and display videos from
>> the internet wihtout the need for a separate set-top box or computer.
>>
>> They plan to establish a common standard for aspects of internet TV,
>> based on a Linux operating system.
>> -----------
>> End quote
>>
>> http://informitv.com/articles/2006/08/05/internettvplans/
>
> This would be great.  One of the biggest problems I personally see with
> upcoming televisiion technologies is the cost per set top box.  If I
> have eight televisiions in my house (example only) and I have to shovel
> out $3 - $5 for a set top box for each one, it gets uneconomical very
> fast.

Don't forget costs that are associated with Windows (Media Centre), if it
ever catches on. Microsoft has some program going on with the French... an
IPTV initiative. There was something with the Germans more recently, but I
can't recall the details. They are meeting executives in media giants to
persuade them to choose a lockin route (surprise, surprise!). Sky have got
some Windows-XP-only offer. I can't recall the details either (Jim Moore
will know).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz  | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session