Re: [News] Software Pirate Gets 6 Years in Jail - Another Reason to Choose Linux/FOSS

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Software pirate sentenced to six years in prison
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Meanwhile, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce also applauded Ferrer's
>| sentencing. David Hirschmann, senior vice president of the Chamber, said
>| it "sends a strong signal to pirates and counterfeiters that the
>| government, with substantial support from the business community, will hunt
>| you down and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.
> `----
>
> http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B9189C3B2%2D7138%2D4019%2DB500%2D8B030DE690CE%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo
> http://tinyurl.com/edf3u
>
> Finally, pro-Linux FUD.

Of sorts, yes.  Of course, they've sent someone to jail for
copyright-violation, as far as I can tell, fraud might've been better.
When you look at the kind of crimes which go on, this does seem
excessive for the nature of the crime to me, although as you say, it
does rather send the 'free software is best' signal.

Of course, FLOSS is anaethema to the copyright-violator crowd, as they
feel that they can't /sell/ it to people.  Of course they can, but they
have to find a reason for doing so and/or a way of persuading people to
pay.  Linspire is one example which is showing success in this respect,
though.  Suse also seem to have managed it, although Mandriva have been
less successful.  The name is a poor one in English, though - it sounds
too much like drivel, I think, and Man means One.  (okay the 1970s
feminists tried to claim it meant "male", but it doesn't and didn't,
it's just that English has two words for "one", one from French (one)
and one from German (man)).  One result is changing "where no man has
gone before" to "where no one has gone before".  It means the same
thing.

Take what you can use and let the rest go by.
		-- Ken Kesey