Re: Microsoft Office New UI Concept Conceded, to Look and Behave Like Open Office 2

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Office New UI Concept Conceded, to Look and Behave Like Open Office 2
  • From: "Chris Dunaway" <dunawayc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 25 Aug 2006 14:40:35 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Microsoft winds back Office ribbon
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has modified its new interface for Office 2007 after complaints
> | from beta testers that the 'ribbon' system took up too much space on
> | screen.
> `----
>
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Microsoft_winds_back_Office_ribbon/0,2000061733,39267508,00.htm
>
> A lot can be said about changed that force upgrades (i.e. spendings). Office
> 2007, much like Windows Vista, will have customers looks elsewhere, at more
> dynamic projects. OpenOffice supports standards far better, is free, Free,
> and cross-platform.

You make it sound like they are completely ditching it and that no one
likes it.  From the article, the biggest complaint was that it took up
a lot of space.  They have just added an option to allow users to hide
it.

<Quote>
However, in the next technical refresh of the Office 2007 beta, users
can set the ribbon to automatically minimise whenever it is not being
used, effectively making the ribbon headings look like traditional
menus. (Windows has long offered a similar auto-hide option for the
taskbar.)
</Quote>

I have read posts where people did not like the ribbon at first, but
then changed their minds.  I personally have not used it so I can't
offer an opinion.