Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Harbours Tiered Web?

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3734462.MTv30LQLhO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Microsoft's 'Naughty or Nice' Patent Application

,----[ Quote ]
| "Those of you worried about Microsoft's stance on network neutrality
| won't find much comfort in the software giant's just-published patent
| application..."
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/25/0555222&from=rss

A couple of unrelated comments:

(*) Slashdot summary is misleading. This has nothing to do with the network neutrality issue. They are patenting the concept being able to rate users, and reward the good ones and punish the bad ones.

(*) Examples of prior art: Slashdot moderation system, anti-spam detection and banning system on blogging sites, QoS service as implemented in most Windows networking system (there's probably a Linux equivalent too, or perhaps the QoS service is OS agnostic, I don't know), BitTorrent tit-for-tat algorithm, eMule sharing point system, etc.

(*) This is a cool idea (evidence is that it's already in use by several systems), but obviously should not be patented (evidence is that it's already in use by several systems).

- Oliver