Re: Linux-based Playstation 3 Gains Wealth of Games

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 20:21 \__
>

>> "billwg" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060823:MTFH34462_2006-08-23_10-14-04_T276061&type=comktNews&rpc=44
>>>
>>> Is the PS3 really "linux based"?  I understand that you can use the
>>> hardware to run linux if you buy the right configuration and don't mind
>>> some clumsy I/O mechanisms, but in its native form I don't think that
>>> it is using linux.
>>
>> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9290
>> <quote>
>> In comments made to Japanese game website Impress Watch, and translated by
>> GameSetWatch contributor Shou Suzuki, Kawanishi noted: "Because we have
>> plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux
>> programming activities... Other than game studios tied to official
>> developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in
>> content creation for the PS3."
>> </quote>
>>
>> Wikipedia's analysis:
>> <quote>
>> Linux will be pre-installed on the PS3 hard drive. Currently it is unknown
>> if Linux will be the operating system used to run everything, including the
>> Cross Media Bar, or if the system will operate as a dual boot environment,
>> where Linux would be loaded from the Cross Media Bar menu.
>> </quote>
>
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9290
>
>                 E3: Kawanishi Talks Homebrew Linux PS3 Development
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In an intriguing turn of events, Sony executive Izumi Kawanishi has
>| illuminated some of his company's PlayStation 3 Linux plans, indicating
>| that it will be possible for individual 'homebrew' coders to create
>| playable content for PS3, something actively blocked for Sony's PSP
>| handheld.
> `----

Quite - exactly the opposite of the direction being taken by Microsoft
in locking down vista.  The idea that you can make cash from development
toolchains does seem to be a little short-sighted, doesn't it?

Your reasoning powers are good, and you are a fairly good planner.