Re: [News] Vista Sheds Another Feature, Falls into Own 64-Bit Suppression Trap

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 22:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:16:31 +0100
> <2008367.3Y2iOHz7Dv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Microsoft cuts ANOTHER feature:
>> full HD playback in 32bit Vista goes
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | By far the majority of PCs use 32-bit processors, because despite
>> | AMD's efforts to push 64-bit CPUs into the marketplace early, Intel's
>> | first widely-promoted 64-bit CPU is the just-released Core 2 Duo.
>> `----

http://www.apcstart.com/site/dwarne/2006/08/1139/microsoft-cuts-another-feature-full-hd-playback-in-32bit-vista

Oops. I had a typo in the subject line. Now corrected.

> Well of course.  Vista was late.  And since Vista is the
> only OS (from Microsoft) that supports 64-bit micros,
> well... :-)
>
> Wait...didn't Linux support 64-bit z900s back in 2000?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

But someone didn't want it to catch on... just like many other advancements
in computing, which were suppressed due to financial interests. Science is
held back by money and ego. And one needn't go into similar situations that
involve ethical/religious grounds, e.g. gene research and cloning.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1036184k total,   475596k used,   560588k free,    67252k cached