Re: Windows Vista Will Wipe Linux Partitions

  • Subject: Re: Windows Vista Will Wipe Linux Partitions
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:00:02 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ivan Drago
<linux-sux@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 24 Aug 2006 15:20:50 -0700
<1156458050.009152.75310@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> How Vista screws dual-booting nirvana
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now, the seriously ill informed amongst us may be wondering why the
>> | headline attacks Windows Vista, and I have yet to even mention it. Why,
>> | because of this blog post from late last year on MSDN about the Vista
>> | boot loader gentle reader, which explains that Vista will continue to
>> | wipe your master boot record on install. And so begins "The case
>> | against installing Windows Vista (volume 658, 943)".
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | No amount of posturing by some "frank and honest" (cough) from Microsoft
>> | is going to hide the fact that it's yet another example of business as
>> | usual at Redmond; embrace, extend and extinguish - in this case your
>> | entire system configuration.
>> |
>> | Every Linux distribution detects the presence of another OS and
>> | configures the system accordingly, even being nice enough to add Windows
>> | to your boot loader automatically (should you choose to keep it).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.apcstart.com/site/admin/2006/08/1087/how-vista-screws-dual-booting-nirvana
>
> Idiot. Learn difference between boot-sector and partition.

I for one don't see an issue here; the partition table is preserved
even if the boot sector is not.  In other words, all Microsoft
is doing at this point is wiping out the code that can get at
the Linux partition, but the Linux data is still there.  Presumably
this is done by reading in the boot sector, wiping everything up
to +0x1BE (the start of the table), calculating a checksum (I forget
whether it needs one), then writing it back out.

(To do otherwise would have millions of *Microsoft Windows* users
screaming at Microsoft "WHERE THE [censored] IS MY DATA!!".  That
would up expenses at customer service -- not to mention tranquillizer
usage and asprin consumption -- considerably. :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.