Re: [News] Essay Contends That Mac Users Should Migrate to GNU/Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>http://themacsucks.com/serendipity/archives/50-The-Secret-Plan-of-Steve-Jobs.html
>
> (Mind the domain name)

I had a look at the front page:

http://tinyurl.com/hju54 (spamtoons.com)

This article seems a bit dated; points 1 and 2 are no longer valid
(cost and speed). Points 3, 4, 6 and 7 (software availability) is true
to an extent, but then IMHO everything (commercial) that is
*worthwhile* _is_ available for the Mac, and don't forget the Darwin
compatible GNU FOSS too.

Points 5 and 11 (limited hardware upgrades/repairs) is a reasonable
point, but then if I was in the market for a prebuilt system, I'd
happily forgo user-serviceability for the sheer build quality and
tidiness of a Mac.

Point 8 (false sense of security) seems a bit like an argumentum ad
hominem, however I believe that proprietary software is inherently
less secure, regardless of platform (obscurity).

Points 9, 10 and 12 seem unreasonable. A case of comparing Apples and
Oranges, but certainly there is always room for improvement in *any*
OS.

Point 13 is plain wrong. IE centric sites are slowly becoming extinct,
as Web developers wake up to the realities of Standards Compliance and
the popularity of SC browsers like Firefox and Opera. Arguing that we
should use a b0rken browser, because there are b0rken websites, is
ridiculous. *Don't* use the b0rken browsers, then complain en mass to
the webmasters of b0rken websites; they'll soon wise up, or perish.

As for point 14, well that definitely *is* just a bullshit argumentum
ad hominem. To paraphrase; "Don't use a Mac, because you'll become a
Mac user"???

Yeah well, don't use Windows, because you'll become a twat.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 18:49:38 up 67 days, 19:06,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.01