Re: [News] Windows Users Spend Billions Due to Viruses and Spyware

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 17:03 \__

>> Viruses and Spyware Cost Users $7.8 Billion
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "It's hard to tell who's losing the money -- the insurance company,
>> | the credit card company or the consumer -- but it's coming out of
>> | someone's pockets," said Dan Hubbard, vice president of security and
>> | research for Websense Inc.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=45613
>>
>> I don't think that <time=money> even falls into this monetary equation.
>> This
>> ought to include defrag, occasional reinstallation (due to Regitry bloat
>> or
>> infection), and addition of software (Windows is thin), which in its own
>> right is costly.
>
>     I see "defrag" mentioned a lot, but I think it's pretty much FUD now.
> None of the Windows users I know defrag their harddrives, and it's not
> because they don't know how. I used to do it, but I found out empirically
> that my computer runs just as fast when completely fragmented (or if
> there's a slowdown, it's imperceptible).

So let's exchange defrag with crashes and reboots, which are needed when
updates are fetched (apparently not in Vista). In Linux, on the contrary,
only kernel updates (a rarity) require a reboot. Any reboot still occupies
some time.

About a year ago I argued that Vista's improves patching system is an
indication that many patches will be needed, i.e. it's the Windows XP saga
all over again. If I reboot my computer, it takes 5-10 minutes to restore a
session, despite the fact that KDE revives all the processes and restores
them to the exact same state. I only reboot a few times a year and I can't
imagine having to rearrange the desktop more frequently. No wonder Windows
gives you just a single workspace. It'll all be gone (and no applications
restored) at the end of the day, so why even bother?

Best wishes,

Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
Tasks: 144 total,   1 running, 140 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie