Re: Windows Vista to Prove Superiority of OSS/Linux

Oliver Wong wrote:
> > __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 21:59 \__
> >
> >>     I think something that Thompson may be glossing over is that a lot of
> >> users don't really care all that much about security. Or more precisely,
> >> security is a nice thing to have, but they'd prefer convenience and ease
> >> of

Speaking of ease of use, there is an article in another recent post
("Windows User Describes Vista and IE7 as Usability Decline") that
speaks of the inconvenience of all the security warnings in Vista.
This article is rather sober, and it is not the first time this issue
has been raised by Vista testers.  Vista is only beta, of course, and
Microsoft is apparently trying to reconcile security with convenience
before the production release.  But the possibility remains (as
discussed in the article) that all the security popups will cause a
significant decline in convenience, perhaps defeating their purpose.

It may be impossible to reconcile security with convenience as well on
Windows Vista as is currently the case with OS X, given the nature of
the beast.

> >> use. Consider all the people who choose easy to guess passwords, or write

If Linux ever becomes widespread on the desktop, expect masses of users
to choose their wife's name as the password.