Re: Puppy Linux

  • Subject: Re: Puppy Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:42:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 09:20 \__

> pixturesk@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I am not of the computer generation so every computer learning
>> experience is a challenge. I only have a P3, 600, 256 megs, Win98SE,
>> Ultra Lite Cable internet, but have been experimenting with several
>> live cd Linux distros. Ubuntu live cd is so slow on this computer but
>> Puppy Linux has been a revelation. At 60 megs, Puppy live cd actually
>> loads into ram, runs almost as quickly as Win98SE. Also, Puppy saves my
>> settings, every time I run it on a 500 meg file + another 70 meg file
>> on my "c" drive so nothing has to be re-configured + Puppy loads in
>> about 30 sec. My version came with the Opera web browser + the capacity
>> to install new software to that file on my "c" drive. No necessity, at
>> this point, to permanently install Puppy on my "c" drive. I will
>> continue to use Puppy as the way to learn more about Linux, in general.
>> I urge folks to give it a try.
>
> I don't think they is any problem in keeping your Live linux rather than
> installing it.  You can always extend the amount of space you give to your
> puppy as and when you need it, it isn't necessarily a lesser system just
> because it isn't installed. Just be protective of it, if it's a CD/DVD make
> sure you have a copy. If it is on a usb key fob, burn a CD copy of it.
>
> I think the use of Live linux's will grow anyway, particularly as the use
> of the newer breed of Linux based hand phones/devices comes out.
>
> Mandriva do a drive called Globe Trotter which I think is the right
> direction for these Live Linux's. It is intended to be like the USB keyfob
> type Live Linux's, but comes on a decent sized drive of it's own. You make
> use of the PC to run it, but no need at all to use any of it's drive space.

That's quite fascinating. I had to it look up and find the URL:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/individuals/products/globetrotter2

Of course, there are some USB drives with very high capacity. SD cards
likewise and you can mount them on a card reader and even have them
replaced. And it's all free.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/08/01/knoppix_linux_on_usb_uk/

You can also get them as preinstalled products, kind of like appliances. This
is not only true for O/Sen. There are also 'live' application.

http://portableapps.com/

Take your data, your settings, and your applications.... all on your
keychain. Splendid. Even on vacation, all you need to ensure is that you get
access to decent hardware with a fast connection. All else is not a
hindrance (unless, of course, the keyboard is foreign).

> But the way I see it, as well as being able to carry your computer world
> around with you, you could also make use of a computer at home first to
> learn to Love linux, then to use the onboad space as an addition to the
> Globe Trotter's own space. There really is no great need for your OS to be
> on the drive inside the computer.
>
> They is also value in having OS's external in other situations.
>
> For example, one Globe Trotter as a shared boot drive for the entire house.
> I don't know if Globe Trotter can be geared up for that, but I think it's a
> reasonable idea. One OS to maintain for the entire house with no need for a
> server as a boot source.

Thin clients are another option. And Linux handles that marvellously.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
roy      pts/7        cg001a.halls.man Thu Aug 24 09:00   still logged in