Re: Proprietary Software: "Own the Standard, Own the Customer"

Ray Ingles wrote:

>  NetBEUI was an example, of course, not the point. You say above that
> companies want to set their own standards. We've already covered this.
> Here'e a representative portion of the reply you claim not to
> comprehend.
>
>  "The best option for a company is to control, and milk, a standard -
> Microsoft has made that a core business model. The problem is, this is
> only optimal for that company. Other companies that use that standard
> are in a much weaker position. If they can't own the standard, companies
> will generally prefer a standard that *nobody* owns - like TCP/IP."

Well, ray, I don't see where your saying that I "claim not to
comprehend" this has any validity.  I think that it has been my own
point all along.  Becoming the standard of comparison and the "industry
standard" has been Microsoft's forte and they have profited immensely
by setting these standards and having the world flock to their door to
buy their products.  You also observe that the losers will always try
to change the rules, but somehow they never manage to do so.

What you seem to fail to see is that Microsoft made their own breaks in
the business, starting with the recognition that software was going to
be more important to success than hardware.

>  There is quite a bit more understanding of this point these days, both
> inside and outside the industry. Hence the recent surge in interest
> regarding "open formats".

All formats are fundamentally "open", ray, even the proprietary
developments.  OO can read and write MS Word DOC files and Excel WKS
files, AFAIK, and many others can read and write Adobe's PDF format,
even MS Office in the latest version. What format is closed to anyone?

> > linux is doomed because all it can do is
> > react to trends created elsewhere.  It will never lead and always follow.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/6dd70d3fa7087035
>
>  Read from "So you repeatedly claim, but I have asked you no less than
> three times before:"

And I have asked you to name something that linux has ever had first.
Windows has a lot that linux doesn't have yet, the most important thing
being user acceptance.