Re: Try doing this with Linux...

__/ [ yttrx ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 17:00 \__

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx) writes:

>>> Hi, don't be a moron.
>>>
>>> The Linux gui is the same EXACT gui of any number of other unixes and
>>> unix-like operating systems.  It is not linux-specific at all.
>>>
>>> And yes, XGL + compiz is one of the few efforts that's absolutely
>>> leading the way in GUI technology.  Efforts including of course
>>> that of Apple.
>>
>> And how many people use XGL+compiz?
>> he was referring to common place desktop installations.
>
> Pretty much anyone using the latest version of SuSe who also has
> hardware that supports it is using XGL+compiz.  A hell of a lot of
> people who use Ubuntu are using it too.  Its also pretty easy to
> get working on Gentoo.

In SUSE: Click. Tick. Tada.

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2006/07/02/its-not-xglits-desktop-effects/

Two commands in Ubuntu. Just copy and paste from the relevant page (plenty of
them) or highlight the commands, then hit middle button in terminal. Wow.
That's quite hard.

> A LOT of people are using XGL+compiz; enough that there are code
> updates to them every few days, and new plug-ins being added all the
> time.

True. Here are some demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws

These include good illustrations of desklets/superkaramba, as well as
Composite and a whole bunch of other effects.

> Apple didnt come up with a large part of their GUI, by the way--a
> lot of it came directly from unix GUI systems.  Thankfully innovation
> is the way at Apple, and they mostly stabilized and made pretty the
> majority of what they used from x-windows, including transparent
> terminals and pagers.

Apple, for some odd reason, is often associated with innovation. Their
Cocoa/Aqua/Brushed in itself is probably inspired by metallic GNOME themes
that I have seen many years ago, as well as Enlightenment. And the iPod is
just a radio transistor with some cumulative design and improvements.

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.