Re: [News] Affordable Linux Laptops Distributed as OLPC Project Kicks Off

Once upon a midnight dreary, while John Bailo pondered weak and weary over
many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Negroponte: $100 laptop trials to kick off
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Negroponte, the chairman of the One Laptop per Child group, said Monday
>> | that field trials of its low-cost PC for children in the developing
>> | world will start everywhere the laptop is required at roughly the
>> | same time.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6108355.html
>

> "We now have a display that can readily be mass-produced in standard LCD
> (liquid crystal display) factories, with no process changes," OLPC noted
> in a posting on its wiki site. "Our display has higher resolution than
> 95 percent of the laptop displays on the market today; approximately
> one-seventh of the power consumption; one-third of the price; sunlight
> readability; and room-light readability with the backlight off."
>

> Why are they the only ones who can do this stuff???

they're not - Sony are flogging the same e-ink technology at $400-$500 a pop
in their readers.
As far as these laptops go - I'd love to give one a go. I'd happily part
with Â100 ($190) to get my hands on one.
--
http://dotware.co.uk
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change