Re: [News] Windows 'Administrator' - False Sense of Security

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:01:36 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> How to hack windows XP admin password
>
> http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sudhir/Hacking/Win_XP_Hack.html
>
> That's the equivalent of letting any local user become root.
>
> I guess that backdoors exist elsewhere* for recovery of root password, but I
> suspect that physical access is then needed.
>
> * Even Novell publish one for SUSE.

Physical access is required here as well.  You need to be at the local
machine console for the command prompt to launch.

But, that's really beside the point.  Something is seriously messed up with
permissions if this works.  A limited users won't, by default, have the
ability to write to the WIndows folder, much less delete and rename files.
If this works, then your permissions are screwed.