[News] Google Releases YouOS (Web-based O/S) Alpha

It's Been an Open Source Kind of Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the peaceful skies in Mountain View, Calif., Google has released
| an alpha version of a Web OS called YouOS. The team that created it is
| from M.I.T., and Wikipedia describes YouOS as "an experimental 'Web
| operating system' produced by WebShaka that replicates the desktop
| environment of a modern operating system on a Web page, using Javascript
| to communicate with the remote server."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/52566.html

So, the environment could be managed by the Web browser and rely on Linux
servers (services). This could become interesting, but this requires fast
connections (e.g. virtual workspaces, video 'down the line'). Maybe Google's
Dark Fibre would help (not Net neutrality though).