Re: Mac-style Menubar for gtk/gnome!

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 01:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Oliver Wong
> <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:01:05 GMT
> <B8LGg.12964$Ch.1775@clgrps13>:
>>
>> "CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> The fundamental philosophy difference is that with a command line
>>> you tell the machinery what to do.  With a gui you can only take a
>>> choice between some limited options that have been preset for you,
>>> and none of which are really suitable.
>>
>>     Obviously, you've never played a text based adventure game.
>>
>> You are standing in a room where a dining table is set with cutlery and a
>> candle holder, whose candle has long been snuffed out. Exits are north,
>> and west.
>>
>> @ GET CUTLERY
>>
>> I don't see any cutlery here.
>>
>> @ WALK NORTH
>>
>> I don't know how to walk.
>>
>> @ NORTH
>>
>> I don't know how to north.
>>
>> @ GO NORTH
>>
>> You fall into a pit and die. GAME OVER.
>>
>>     - Oliver
>>

> Ah, those were the days, when men were real men, women were real women,
> small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry
> creatures from Alpha Centauri, text was real text, and
> computer games were real dumb. :-)

Well, these helped me learn English. *smile*

> Nowadays, if one were to try to get cutlery in, say,
> Unreal Tournament, one of the bots would sneak up behind
> you and let fly with a rocket launcher.  *SPLAT* [*]
>
> Sigh.

Today's games are frustratingly static in terms of development in paradigms.
And when they become realistic, you face a barrier of trying to surpass
reality. The Matrix maybe?

> Fortunately, cutlery-getting in shoot-em-ups is rather rare.
>
> [*] about a 50-50 chance of you or the 'bot getting killed
> by the rocket.  They're still pretty dumb. ;-)

@ WALK AWAY

You must listen to Ghost's ramblings.