Re: [News] Novell Improves/Extends XGL

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 20:08 \__

>> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 19:19 \__
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>     When I first saw this feature in OSX, it made me envious that Windows
>>> did not have it. Now Linux is getting it too! Damn you, open source!
>>> <shakes fist>
>>>
>>>     <ExplicitTongueInCheekMarker/>
>>
>> I believe that Mac OS X beat Linux to it, but it was actually a
>> third-party
>> piece of software.
>
>     I don't know much about OSX, but I was using a fresh install of 10.3
>     and
> before ever downloading any third party apps, pressing one of the F keys on
> the far right (F9? F10? F11? Don't remember) would do what this Scale
> plugin does.
>
>> In my humble opinion, there are better ways to managing a
>> busy desktop. I have been using KasBar quite happily for several years. It
>> provides previews of the processes (windows) and may even become more
>> useful
>> than this 'scale plugin'.
>
> I tried googling for screenshots, but both
> http://xmelegance.org/kasbar/index.html and
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2030 seem to be down at the time of
> writing.
>

>> What I find most valuable, however, is division to
>> virtual desktops and the use of a good pager. It's like having a
>> small-scale
>> 'scale plugin' somewhere on the screen. KPager supports drag-and-drop,
>> click
>> to focus, and it also displays wallpapers and live window appearance as
>> XPM's. Still a little buggy in KE 3.1, but perfect in KDE 3.4.
>
>     I never really got into virtual desktops. I'm curious though: I use
>     some
> applications which show notification windows (e.g. IM clients, or Opera
> notifying that a download completed). If I've moved Opera onto a different
> desktop, will I still see the notification windows, or will they be shown
> on the desktop which isn't visible and thus lost forever?

It depends on your preferences. Most critical (or even nominal) prompts will
not time out. In KDE 3.1 the notifications will have the virtual desktop
changed (focus grabbed) to have you aware of the pop-up. In KDE 3.4 I take
advantage of a feature that strictly keeps each application in its
designated virtual desktop. So if the notification is a child process of
another, it might not appear in the current workspace or steal focus. KDE is
fun. It can do everything. The wishlist items I posted in the KDE newsgroups
last week concerned different, separate panels (docks) for each workspace,
as well as different Desktop contents. It's only possible if you start
multiple sessions at the moment, which is memory-greedy and
poorly-integrated experience.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
Swap:  1036184k total,   420008k used,   616176k free,    98120k cached