Re: [News] Why Open Source Development Models Work Better (Cartoon)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1479472.80xAqTGss8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shouldn't this be reason enough to opt for an Open Source development model?

| In a traditional software development model, the client asks for one
| thing and is delivered something else not to say anything about the
| galloping costs involved as is rightly illustrated by the cartoon below.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/08/shouldnt-this-be-reason-enough-to-opt.html

I'm not sure open source development in itself is enough to ensure that the client actually receives what they want. For example the Waterfall development process is widely regarded as the one most likely to guarantee a strong disaparity between what the user wants and what the user gets, and there are absolutely no conflicts in using the Waterfall process in combination with the open source process.

The way to ensure the customer gets what they want is to involve the customer in the iterative development process. Talk to the customer to find out what they want (note that what they ask for is not nescessarily what they want, as illustrated by the cartoon). Then build the simplest thing that fufills the customer's requirements. Now show that to the customer. Is that what they wanted? If so, great. If not, then change it until it is what they want.

This second process works just as well whether the software is open source or closed source.

- Oliver