Re: [News] Java Faster on Linux Than on Windows

  • Subject: Re: [News] Java Faster on Linux Than on Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:17:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Donn Miller ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 10:52 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Java on Linux vs MS-Win XP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Why is launching and executing a Java program so much faster under Linux
>> | than Win-XP? I don't know. In my more paranoid moments, I wonder ifM
>> | icrosoft has deliberately crippled the performance of Java under Win-XP.
>> | Microsoft hates the popularity of Java. It's not their own dot net
>> | platform, and we all know that Microsoft wants to own and control
>> | everything.
>
> But then again, who really makes extensive use of Java?  Most
> programmers these days prefer to do everything in C and C++, it seems.

Judging by SourceForge (maybe FreshMeat as well), this may not be the case.
It is commonly argued that OSS programmers have an affinity for the
simplicity of Java, which is increasingly used in CS education. This
includes myself. C++ is just harder to learn. There is a cost to
presumptuous, automated programming. For good and properly-optimised code,
machine code is the best bar none, provided that you can cope with the
complexity.

Good read:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

                                The Perils of JavaSchools