Re: Linux's legal world after SCO

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 14:20 \__

>> SCO can't simply drop the suit, because in Utah, filing fraudulent
>> claims is a really bad thing, and the Judge could even award tripled
>> damages to IBM.  Where would SCO get $9 billion in cash?  Perhaps from
>> a friendly billionaire or two who helped arrange funding in the first
>> place?
>
> I haven't heard too much about the BayStar connection since the
> original memos (emails) came out, showing the connection with
> Microsoft.  I'd be interested to know where it all stands now.  I think
> I saw some troll saying that the Microsoft connection had been
> completely debunked, but I don't remember details.  The evidence looked
> pretty strong to me when it first came out---the authenticity of the
> emails wasn't denied.
>
> I hope you're right, Rex, it would be interesting to see IBM pursuing
> Microsoft for this.

True. They requested a subpoena.

> IBM has asserted publicly that Microsoft is behind
> the SCO case, and they have asked for big discovery.   Of course,
> Microsoft now destroys all internal emails after a month and most
> documents after a year (something like that), a lesson they learned
> after the DOJ case.

In Mini Microsoft, last night's post implied that E-mail gets purged after
just 6 months. Not even one year...

It's not just the SCO case where there are things to hide. The battle with
the EU and the mysterious protocols will probably have some revelations
resurfaced. Gates and Ballmer do not want to spend the rest of their lives
behind bars while the rest of the executives run away or find shelter in
suburbian Washington.

Good read.

Prisoner of Redmond:
Yet Another Way Paul Allen Isn't Like You or Me

By Robert X. Cringely

,----[ First sentence as teaster ]
`----

> Microsoft doesn't have much of a track record at
> winning lawsuits, they usually settle out of court so there's no record
> of their evil doings.  Might be different with IBM.   I'd be
> interesting in any further comments you might have.

Settlements. Coupons. Mind you, if I recall correctly, they settled with IBM
last year and handed out coupons with the value of one billion US dollars,
if not more. This has _GOT_ to stop!

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reclaim your workstation - install GNU/Linux today
Mem:    514480k total,   483064k used,    31416k free,     6880k buffers